Our home is abuzz with activity as we prepare to host a myriad of graduation activities this week. I finish a long four years at Beeson Divinity School on Wednesday and Kristen’s youngest sister finishes her time at the University of Alabama on Saturday. Lots of friends and family coming into town and while I ought to be cleaning or doing something more productive, I’m blogging…so here is my take on the week gone by.
Music That I Am Listening To and Enjoying – School of Language and their parent band, Field Music, are currently playing long and loud on my iTunes. If you like well-polished indie rock you owe it to yourself to check out these bands.
Customer Service Moment of the Week – We’ve given a soft launch to our new Frapuccino’s, which are now fully customizable with all of the options that you would get with a normal espresso beverage. Headache’s galore for barista’s, but everyone seems to like them. The funniest part about it is that we have to wear wrist/sweat bands with the Starbucks/Frappuccino logo on them. A little rock and roll, a little toolish. Depends on who you are I guess. I’d show a picture but I don’t have any…just thought you should know.
Sports Moment of the Week – You know I love soccer so I was pretty excited that the UEFA finals are set bwtween Bayern Munich and Inter Milan. League play in Europe is winding down and people are starting to gear up for the World Cup. Speaking of, the U.S. Men’s National Team just released their new World Cup jersey, so if you need any last minute graduation gift ideas for me, check out the USA soccer website and send one my way…I’m only half-joking here.
Books and Movies of the Week – We finally watched the movie Up this weekend and it was as good as everyone said it was. If you are one of the two other people who have not yet seen it go out and watch it now. You’ll love it. I’ve also been reading through the book of Psalms (you know, the one in the Bible…) for class and I’ve decided that it is a pretty comprehensive view of the human experience while maintaining a right focus on God. Pretty good stuff. Read it again for the first time.
Video of the Week – can’t remember if I’ve posted this one before or not, but either way, it is amazing.
5 Things I Think I Think
1. I think that I have a few shout outs to make in light of my graduation on Wednesday. Special thanks to my wife, my parents, my sisters, and my friend Richard. Not a chance in the world I would have made it through seminary without their support, encouragement, and sometimes nagging…Thanks also to all the professors who I have had across the past few years. I know I was not the best student, or the funniest, or the most enjoyable. But I was there and I learned a lot from each person I had class with, so thank you to all of them. Thanks to my classmates for being there with me, especially Shaylon, Casey, Jacob Simmons, Geoff, Chase, Jeff H., David D., M. Derek, Ben T., Tim, and a myriad of others who encouraged and entertained me, kept me going, and did not let me fall apart in the worst of it. You guys were great and I could not have asked for a better group of friends to go through seminary with. And then to everyone else on the periphery that came into my life in brief and quick ways and those that watched and encouraged me from afar, you’ll probably never know the impact you made, but thank you anyway. And if you feel like I should be thanking you, then this is for you: THANK YOU.
2. I think that I cannot remember ever being as sore as I was yesterday. Saturday was community workday where our townhome is located and we worked it pretty hard. My fingers might be the most sore, which is weird because I’m not sure that my fingers have ever been really sore before. Either way, it is not fun. But the community looks pretty good and all of our planting and weeding have made our own back and front areas look really good.
3. I think the pictures and video coming out of Nashville and Middle Tennessee are unbelievable. They got the highest amount of rain in recorded history this past weekend and it flooded out tons of places. I have a fair amount of friends that live there and as far as I know they all fared ok, but the city is facing some pretty serious clean up. It’s been a crazy year for natural disasters and we’re not even halfway through yet…God is sovereign in all.
4. I think that my wife has such an eye for decorating it is amazing. She hung a bunch of pictures in the office that I am currently in right now and did such an incredible job that I am in awe. She used mostly stuff I already had but managed to arrange it in such a manner that it looks fantastic. I’m definitely leaving all of the decorating to her and deferring all decisions about styling her way.
5. I think that my parents are going to be here soon so I better stop this and go finish getting everything ready…but I hope to be back at some point later this week with another post or two.
Have a great week and celebrate the graduate in your life (if you don’t have one, feel free to adopt me…).
Love and Sweatpants.