Top 5 Reasons Sam Likes Groundhog Day So Much…
1. It is so undeniably stupid and pointless that it just makes it fun. I mean come on, they pull this groundhog named Phil out of the ground, he sees his shadow or he does not, and then we have 6 more weeks of winter. Such fun. I also think the fact that there are people in a tiny hamlet in western Pennsylvania that take this so seriously. We need more things like this in our lives!
2. It is probably the one non-commercialized and underrated holiday left. Seriously, no one even remembers that today is Groundhog Day. And that’s the way I like it. Quite charming really. (Although people have actually started remembering that it is Groundhog Day thanks to my tireless efforts to publicize…mad props to those wishing me a happy GHD!)
3. Of course, the outstanding movie that Paul Kranz (former roommate) and I re-discovered our freshman year. As far as I am concerned, this movie is the highest of high comedy and is Bill Murray at his absolute peak (What About Bob? and Caddyshack included, though they rank as like 1b and 1c. I mean come on, who can choose a favorite Bill Murray movie?)
4. The date. 2/2. What is there not to like about that? I have friends that made a movie about their trip to Punxsutawney in 2002 and called it 02/02/02. (Mad props to John, Jon, and Will) How cool is that?
5. The abbreviations it allows. What other holiday’s have as cool of abbreviations as GD (the one time a year that it is not bad…thanks Blake for the joke there) and GHD, my personal favorite, which is way cooler than any other holiday abbreviation you could think of.
So celebrate safely kiddos and no calling into work tomorrow. Phil saw his shadow and we have 6 more weeks of winter to enjoy…however, Birmingham Bill, the local Alabama version at the Birmingham Zoo, did not see his shadow, offering some hope of an early Spring. Either way though, I’m predicting that Spring will come March 21.