Yes, it has been a while, but once you see some pictures and what I’ve been up to, I think you’ll agree that me not blogging for a bit was worth it. But first things first…I have some public thank-you’s to issue. First and foremost goes to my amazing, patient, beautiful and talented girlfriend Kristen, without which, almost nothing would be accomplished in the kitchen. Sisters and brothers-in-law are next, with Crystal & Brian and Kelly & Casey doing a lion’s share of the work in the kitchen this weekend and helping out in immeasurable ways. Roommate Jacob provided some much needed help early last week and also contributed to the cause. The end is now visible, albeit with a lot of work still to be done. More on that in a minute.
Also, the logo was only voted on by my father, so he wins and this logo stays for a while. Hope you like it.
Meanwhile, onto the stuff.
Music That I Am Listening To and Enjoying – New Wilco is definitely dominating, but during one late night work session Coldplay, Counting Crows, Foo Fighters, and Augustana all provided musical accompaniment.
Customer Service Moment of the Week – I honestly don’t even remember working last week. So I’ll give a shout out to regular customers John and Judy who let me borrow their tile wet saw and other supplies to help get the floor done. Thanks so much.
Sports Moment of the Week –Andy Roddick and Roger Federer had a pretty epic match last week for the Wimbledon title, which Roger one, thereby passing Pete Sampras’ all-time record for Grand Slam titles. I did not watch much in the way of sports this past week as the kitchen was first priority.
Books and Movies of the Week – I read two books and parts of others while on vacation two weeks ago. Just Do Something by Kevin DeYoung was an excellent and quick read and I would highly recommend it to just about everyone. He looks at decision making and the will of God and breaks down some of the notions and ideas that we have about figuring out our lives. A fresh and healthy perspective that is theologically sound without being stuffy. And not only does DeYoung hit the nail on the head with the Biblical and theological part, he also nails the cutlure today. An all-around winner. I also read Death By Suburb by David Goetz as an early school assignment… It was good, but not at all what I was expecting. I think that I had such high hopes for this book that I would have been disappointed regardless of how good it was. Still a decent read though.
Video of the Week – This is just crazy. Whoever thought of this has way too much time on their hands…
5 Things I Think I Think
1. I think that I am about as worn out as I’ve been in a long time. Long hours working on the kitchen last week leading into an even longer weekend left me with a migraine that disabled me for the second half of the grouting project yesterday. Thankfully Kristen and her sister Kelly stepped in and finished it up and it looks great. So here are some pics for you to see what has been done –
2. I think that vacation was wonderful and much needed. Time spent with family and on the beach was extremely relaxing and we had a wonderful time. And now I’m ready for another one…
3. I think the rain that plowed through Birmingham in the last 24 hours was definitely welcome. My plants were looking a little wilted despite my best watering efforts but everything ought to perk up now.
4. I think that I really did not miss my 10 year high school reunion this weekend. Yes, it would have been nice to be there, but Facebook does a pretty good job of ensuring that you know where people are and what they are doing. Seems strange to think that it has been 10 years though. In some respects it seems like more, in others just like yesterday.
5. I think that I’m pretty not interested in the Home Run Derby and Baseball All-Star Game. They never really seem to live up to the hype and they always take twice as long as need be. I’m not sure what the answer is, but somehow something needs to be fixed.
Thanks for reading this week and hopefully I’ll have pictures of a nearly, if not totally, completed kitchen by next week.
Love and Sweatpants.