I’ll stop apologizing for posting a day late and from now on you can just assume that my Week That Was will just be on Tuesday, probably around the afternoon sometime. As it is, my Sunday’s are too glorious to spend time pre-writing the blog and my Monday’s are too filled with work to do it, so Tuesday it will be. I’m sure you don’t mind as I am sure none of you are hanging on my every word. Anyway, onto the stuff…
Music That I Am Listening To and Enjoying – I’m sitting here listening to something that I’ve been waiting on for a good three years. Yes, my good friend Zach Williams has released his album. I’ve heard most of these songs in every context imaginable (auditoriums, coffee houses, bookstores, dive bars, schools, churches, living rooms, back decks, and everything in between) except in the studio. Until now. I’ll do a review later this week when I have some more time to fully digest , but the initial listen is everything I hoped it could be and more. You can find Zach’s album Story Time on iTunes and I will say it is well worth the $9.90. Just trust me. Click here and support good music. I’ve also been getting down with Cage The Elephant, Willy Porter, and Blitzen Trapper. No going wrong with any of those.
Customer Service Moment of the Week – Nothing really stands out in my mind from this last week. Shocking really, since I know that people have not really gotten better at buying clothes or ordering coffee. I have noticed an increase in the amount of people that have ceased thanking me for making their beverages. I’m no saint making their coffee for thanks and a smile, but it does seem alarming that the common courtesy of thanks is rapidly disappearing.
Sports Moment of the Week – This is one of the best times ever if you are a sports fan. World Cup qualifiers by the dozen for soccer, the Stanley Cup Finals for hockey, the NBA Finals for basketball, baseball in midseason form, the French Open final for tennis, and football talk always present. Glorious. But the moment of the week belongs to one Roger Federer. He completed the career Grand Slam (winning all four of the major tournaments [the Australian, the French, Wimbledon, the U.S.]) and also tied Pete Sampras record for most all-time Grand Slams with 14. He’d never won the French and it was sweet to see him rejoice with his family at his triumvirate of accomplishment. The Greatest Ever indeed.
Books and Movies of the Week – I’ve been plowing my way through Paul Shirley’s book and will finish it this week. His take on things is so similar to mine it is eerie. I’ve also started reading a biography of David Livingstone which is really interesting. As far as movies go, my roommate Jacob and I watched both Godfather 1 and 2 last week. Fantastic storytelling via movies and the ending of 2 really bookends things nicely. What could have been?
Video of the Week – If you’ve never experienced David Wilcox, consider this your introduction. You’re welcome. If you have, recall the experience that was a Wilcox show and enjoy.
5 Things I Think I Think
1. I think that people who talk loudly on cell phones in public places should be severely punished. I came thisclose to snatching a girl’s phone out of her hand and throwing it in the pool on Sunday. We (everyone at the pool and within 100 feet of it) were subject to almost an hour of this girl talking about friends and family and everything in between with some unknown subject on the other end of the line. I do not care that they got engaged. I don’t care that your friend always asks about her. Privacy, people. Utilize it.
2. I think that while DVR/Tivo is one of the greatest inventions ever, it is also one of the most frustrating. Case in point: My buddy and I were trying to watch Wednesday’s World Cup qualifier for the U.S. Team on Thursday. However, because the baseball game went late, ESPN flipped the game to ESPN2, leaving us with 3 hours of recorded baseball, Baseball Tonight, and SportsCenter. Not bad things, but not soccer…
3. I think that wallpaper removal is the most frustrating thing ever. Only to be surpassed by attempting to remove wallpaper that has been coated by other wallpaper, then all of it coated with paint. Just horrendous. And I knew it would be, but seriously people, no more wallpaper. We’re thinking of moving to Plan B…I’ll let you know.
4. I think that there is nothing more enjoyable than a day by the pool with my girlfriend (minus annoying cell phone people of course. We grilled burgers and had delicious potato salad and just loved spending time soaking up the sun. Love it!
5. I think that the you should go download Zach Williams’ new album already. (ok, maybe I already mentioned that one, but I really wish that I was in NYC for the CD Release show tonight.)
5a. I think working doubles (open at J.Crew and close at Starbucks) may be good for the finances, but they just leave me exhausted. Sundays and Tuesdays become more of recovery days than anything, but that is just fine with me since that usually involves the pool and/or a movie.
That’s all for now. Enjoy Zach’s new album and remember to say thank you to people. And by people I mean everyone.
Love and Sweatpants.