So I worked what I like to call a “double” yesterday. I opened at J.Crew and closed at Starbucks, with a meeting at my internship thrown in between for good measure. Good for the pocketbook but bad for the old blogging schedule and non-tiredness. So I apologize to those of you that came yesterday looking for the recap of the week. It’s here now.
Music That I Am Listening To and Enjoying – I recently acquired some demos from Wilco’s (my well-documented musical obsession) album Yankee Hotel Foxtrot that includes different versions of songs and new (to me) songs. Simply amazing. The new Dave Matthews Band album comes out today and it is one of our selection at Starbucks, so that will get worn out quick. I have not gotten it yet, but it sounds pretty good. We also got Ray Charles Greatest Hits at Starbucks and it reminded me of the time my Mom got that CD and we listened to it a lot. Ray is really, really good and I’d highly recommend it.
Customer Service Moment of the Week – It was bad customer week last week. No real standout moments from that, just overall surliness and general unhappiness with drinks. It’s coffee people. Don’t yell at me. But I have to say that big winner is actually the car wash next door. Last night they came over asking if we saw a man matching a certain description because he had stolen a car there. Just walked through our parking lot, jumped in a car that evidently had the keys in it, and drove off. Pretty bold if you ask me, but I don’t usually steal cars so I’m not sure if this is the best way to do it. But either way, someone dropped their car off thinking they’d get it nice and clean, maybe for a special occasion, and now they are walking. Whoops.
Sports Moment of the Week – It was the week of Upsets. First off, highly favored Manchester United lost the UEFA Cup final to Barcelona (It’s like the Super Bowl of soccer only bigger), and then on Sunday, Rafael Nadal lost at the French Open to Soderling. I asked my buddy who watches more tennis than me who Soderling was. His response? Some buster that got lucky. Well, he won again and is in the semis, but still…Rafa had never lost at the French. Ever. Won 4 straight. Look invincible. Ridiculous.
Books and Movies of the Week – I worked a lot and did not get much reading or movie watching done, but I did start Paul Shirley’s book Can I Keep My Jersey, which is an entertaining look at the life of a vagabond professional basketball player. I also caught the tail end of Rush Hour 2, maybe the funniest movie ever made. Seriously, hilarious. I can quote the whole thing and it still kills me. Everytime.
Video of the Week – I’m not sure I’d eat it, but this is unreal. How do you figure out that you have talent like this?
5 Things I Think I Think
1. I think that I missed Conan’s debut last night, but everyone sure is talking about it. It’s on the DVR so I might try and catch it. Either way though, Will Ferrell joins Bear Gryllis on Man Vs. Wild tonight, and that is must see TV for sure.
2. I think that the entire city of Birmingham is on vacation or out of town right now. Seriously, Starbucks and J.Crew have both been as dead as I can remember them. Either that, or the fact that the weather is nice for the first time in like 6 months means that everyone is at their pool grilling out and has no need for new fashions and coffee beverages. I know I was at the pool on Sunday and it was glorious.
3. I think that the NHL playoffs are so much more interesting to me than the NBA playoffs. Maybe it is because I have a rooting interest in the Stanley Cup and not so much in the NBA, but really, the games I’ve caught for basketball have just not had any flow to them. Too many timeouts and fouls and things. Hockey just goes and goes and goes.
4. I think that in talking with my manager at J.Crew yesterday, I was inspired to create some more recipes and take some more risks on the grill this summer. I’ve got about 4 go-to entrees, but I want to branch out a bit and see what happens. I’ll keep you updated.
5. I think that the ovens and the painted wallpaper are next on the kitchen list. Hopefully some of it will get done this week. I’ll post some pictures and updates as things happen.
That’s all for now. Enjoy the first week of June (seriously, I cannot believe it is already June) and check back for some new posts later this week.
Love and Sweatpants.